This page is dedicated to Tefillin (phylacteries). Here you will find instructions how to make your own with computer and a printer.
First, let's take a look at what the Written Torah says about Tefillin:
YLT Ex 13:9 and it hath been to thee for a sign on thy hand, and for a memorial between thine eyes, so that the law of Jehovah is in thy mouth, for by a strong hand hath Jehovah brought thee out from Egypt;
YLT Ex 13:16 and it hath been for a token on thy hand, and for frontlets between thine eyes, for by strength of hand hath Jehovah brought us out of Egypt.'
YLT Dt 6:8 and hast bound them for a sign upon thy hand, and they have been for frontlets between thine eyes,
YLT Dt 11:18 'And ye have placed these my words on your heart, and on your soul, and have bound them for a sign on your hand, and they have been for frontlets between your eyes;As you can clearly see from these verses, we are explicitly commanded to PHYSICALLY bind the Words of the Covenant at Horeb (The 10 Commandments) on the hand, the forehead and the heart.
As I've discussed in my previous posts, the reason why I use 10 commandments is because it is a summary of the entire covenant, which was also spoken by God and which was immortalized on the stone tablets in the Ark of the Tabernacle.
And "totafot" is simply "frontlets" as YLT (see above) correctly translates. Basically, it was similar to the High Priest Forehead Golden Plate. See this post. This is why you MUST make head part of Tefillin from metal, rather than fabric like I show here.
This is just a "portable" and "quick" version of Tefillin that you can make with basic efforts and materials.
To make this simple Tefillin, you will need the following:
Iron w/o Steam
Scissors, Needles and threads
PRINTABLE FILES (OPEN OFFICE/APACHE OFFICE FORMAT):
To make Head Tefillin:
- Print Head Tefillin file above on the Avery T-Shirt Transfer Paper. Make sure you follow instructions attached with transfer paper.
- Cut out printout and transfer it with an iron to desired head band that you purchased above.
To make Hand Tefillin:
- Print Hand Tefillin file above on REGULAR PAPER.
- Cut out the printout and laminate it with Fellowes Laminating Pouches
- Punch holes with the thick needle along the margins of the laminated pouch
- Sew the pouch onto desired wrist band that you purchased above.
To make Heart Tefillin (T-Shirt)
- Print Heart Tefillin file above on Avery Transfer Paper
- Transfer the printout with an iron onto desired T-Shirt
- Do not forget to attach fringes (Tzitzit) onto the resulting T-Shirt